Monday, January 5, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year! (Back to school)

So, I'm now officially pregnant with my IP's baby(ies?) but am still waiting for my new numbers to come in on Wednesday. This has been a really long week for me, starting with the mere fact that my children have been out of school for two friggin' weeks already. Well actually, today is their first day back (yay!!) so the house is a little quieter. Two weeks trapped in a house with a seven and five year old who demand my attention 24/7 is highly exhausting. I love them, but good lord above can they drive a woman mad!

Fighting is the least favorite quality my children posses. As the clock strikes 6:15 in the morning, my two darlings would instantly quarrel over what cartoons (horrible I know. Who the hell is their mother?) to watch. As I would sit patiently - and barley awake - drinking my (decaf) coffee I could literally envision sending both of them off to military training. Do they have military training for elementary age, or is this just a vivid dream that I am now solely responsible for making a reality? Oh well, if I must, I must. My kids do look rather smashing in camouflage.

By noon they would have each other in headlocks, trying with all their tiny might to rip each and every strand of hair from the other's head. I bet my son now wishes he would have gotten a regular haircut instead of the "I just want a little bit cut, I'm growing it out" mop he currently has. For kids to fight over television channels, toys, my attention, dad's attention, what color angels are, who is eating the last pear, or who brushes their teeth first is just plain rude. I say it does take a village to raise children, and I will drop them off at your house this weekend.

I hope this is a lesson for all the parents out there who constantly threaten their children with "I'm so totally sending you to the Army!", I will be figuring out how to make this united dream come alive. Of course my idea of the military is someone in fatigues screaming at them to brush their teeth correctly and to pick up their messes. But, in that case, I suppose I'm already a General to their Private. Wow, being promoted is nice, and I can't wait for the perks.

5 comments:

  1. lol..I know what you mean. My kids are 2 and 3. I can't believe how bad they fight already. I am a constant refferee (sp?). But I couldn't imagine it any other way. They are the best of friends minus the fighting. But I am looking forward to the day they can go to school!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me wrong, I totally adore my kids...when they are getting along. It's soooo hard to find things to entertain them with, when I'm so not in the mood to play moderator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be glad you have two, or they'd have only you to fight with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's official! you haven't blogged for a whole year now.

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my boys fought over everything. I kept begging them to not fight and soon got them to behave on special,ie.birthday, mothers day, christmas, which made those days extra special.
    now they are 21 and 24 and are best friends. There is hope.

    ReplyDelete