Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Prompt: Comfort

Okay, so 2 entries in one day - what else should I be doing? Anyway, one of the writing groups I belong to has this thing, where each week the group owner adds a prompt, and everyone else writes about it. I thought this one was particularly interesting, so I did the complete opposite of my first natural instinct of fleeing: I wrote. Here it is, in all of it's short, stout glory.

P.S. - This is a write-what-you-want-as-long-as-it-has-the-word-comfort-in-it type of thing. No minimum number of words or central setting.


Henry's eyes locked stead-fast onto Sophie's, sending invisible beams of courage in her direction. "Look at me Soph," he said calmly, gently brushing a hair from her cheek. "Just keep your eyes on me."
Sophie felt the brush of his hand against her skin once more, and turned her dampened face into his palm, pressing her lips into the soft pocket he had created. "I love you," she whispered, half-hoping he didn't hear her. His rule had been no good-byes, and she had just broken it.
"Are you comfortable?" he asked, tugging the blanket up and over her bare shoulders. She nodded slowly, a weak smile appearing at just the corners of her mouth for a moment, before fading away again. The pain in her eyes shot through Henry's chest, as his stomach tightened and his worst fear began to play out in front of him. "Sophie, please..." he stammered. "Please not yet." He bent down to her, pressing his forehead against hers in a last ditch effort to make her stay. "I'm not ready," he sobbed, burying his face into her neck.
With all the strength she could summon, Sophie caressed the back of Henry's head, digging her fingers into his thick locks of chocolate hued hair. The sound of his sobs wrapped around her, accompanied only by the sounds of the medical equipment beeping and dripping beside her. "I am ready," she breathed, pressing him close to her. As his eyes rose up to meet her, she heard him whisper the same good-bye that she had already spoken, and laid a finger to his lips. "No good-byes, remember?" she said smiling, before closing her eyes for the last time.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! The best part about it is that when I started reading, I had no idea where it was leading. Just in that short passage, you had me change my mind about where it was headed, at least twice! So good!

    I'd love to be involved in a writing group like that. Will you share the information with me?

    I can't wait to hear more! I want to hear more about Sophie. Was she an adult, a teen, a young child? What made her leave? Where did she believe she would go next? How long did she have to prepare emotionally? How did she get to the place where she was ready. More! I need more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too kind...and I really appreciate it! Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. Now I want MORE!

    ReplyDelete